“U.N Informed Me Of U.S Visa Denial” – Iran Foreign Minister

 “U.N Informed Me Of U.S Visa Denial” – Iran Foreign Minister

Iran’s Foreign Minister has said he has been informed by U.N Chief Antonio Guterres that Washington has denied him a visa for a trip to U.N Headquarters in New York.

Reacting to the issue on Tuesday, January 7, 2020, Mr Zarif said “what we know is that the U.S State Secretary (Mike Pompeo), in a call to the Secretary General of the United Nations, said: ‘We did not have time to issue a visa for Mohammad Javad Zarif and we will not issue a visa’.”

Quoted by semi-official News Agency ISNA, Tehran’s top diplomat said, the Secretary General responded by saying that it is Iran’s right to take part in this session.

So far there has been no official confirmation from Washington that it has rejected Mr Zarif’s visa application; who was speaking to reporters in Tehran at a gathering to promote an Iranian peace plan for the Gulf.

His remarks came as Iran held funeral processions on Tuesday for one of its top Military Commanders killed in a US drone strike in Iraq.

Mr Zarif later took to Twitter, saying the rejection violated the terms of a 1947 agreement on the travel of representatives of UN members to and from the headquarters; but he said “denying me a visa… pales in comparison to” US sanctions and threats, as well as the “cowardly assassination” of Iranian general Qasem Soleimani last week.

Atinúkẹ́ Ṣeun-Ìgè

Related post

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: