Twitter’s agreement with the Nigerian government is likely to be reviewed in months to come as Elon Musk sealed a takeover deal with the firm on Monday.
Recall that in June last year, the Federal Government had banned Twitter operations in Nigeria after it deleted a tweet by President Muhammadu Buhari.
However, after seven months and economic losses of about ₦546.5 billion, the Federal Government lifted the ban after twitter agreed to its demands.
The Federal Government, at the time, said the ban was lifted after Twitter agreed to its demands, which include the microblogging platform registering in the country, appointing a designated country representative, complying with tax obligations in Nigeria; enrolling Nigeria in its portal for direct communications between government officials and representatives to manage prohibited content that violates Twitter community rules and respecting extant local laws.
The Minister of Information, Lai Mohammed, had also said that Twitter would open its Nigerian office within the first quarter of 2022.
Executive Secretary, Association of Telecommunications Companies of Nigeria (ATCON), Mr Ajibola Olude said now that the Twitter management has changed, he may call for the review of the agreement the social media platform had with the Nigerian government if the agreement will not promote its business.