Italy Records Second Coronavirus Death Amidst Fears

 Italy Records Second Coronavirus Death Amidst Fears

Italian news agency ANSA on Saturday,  reported the second death from the virus in the Lombardy region, where Codogno is located.

It came one day after the death of a 78-year-old retired bricklayer from the Padua area in the nearby Veneto region, who was the first local person in Europe to die from the coronavirus.

ANSA reported that the new victim was a woman. No further information was immediately available.

Italy’s health minister said that the man who died on Friday, Adriano Trevisan, had been admitted to hospital 10 days earlier for an unrelated health issue.

He was one of two people in the Veneto region with the virus, where another confirmed case overnight in a 53-year old man brought that number to three, president of the Veneto region, Luca Zaia told Rai24 news.

AFP reports that in the areas in northern Italy, over 50,000 people have been asked to stay at home while all public activities such as carnival celebrations, church masses and sporting events have been banned for up to a week.

Codogno Mayor Francesco Passerini said locals were “extremely worried” about the spread of the deadly disease.

Since December, COVID-19 has killed more than 2,200 people in China, the epidemic’s epicentre.

Related post

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: