Iran has reported one more death among 10 new cases of coronavirus, bringing the total number of deaths in the Islamic republic to five and infections to 28.
On Saturday, February 22, 2020, the Health Ministry Spokesman, Kianoush Jahanpour said on State Television that: “We have 10 new confirmed cases of COVID-19, but one of the new cases has unfortunately passed away,” noting that eight of them had been hospitalised in Qom and two in Tehran, without specifying where the death occurred.
The COVID-19 outbreak first emerged in Iran on Wednesday, February 19, 2020, when officials said it killed two elderly people in Qom, a Shiite holy city south of the capital, being the first confirmed deaths from the disease in the Middle East.
Mr Jahanpour said since then, Iran has carried out tests on 785 suspected cases, adding that most of the cases are either Qom residents or have a history of coming and going from Qom to other cities.
Following the announcement of the deaths, neighbouring Iraq on Thursday, February 20, 2020, clamped down on travel to and from the Islamic republic, with its Health Ministry announcing that people in Iran were barred from entering the country “until further notice”.
AFP also reports that Kuwait’s national carrier, Kuwait Airways, also announced it would suspend all flights to Iran.