Iran has launched a missile attack on an Iraqi airbase where U.S Forces are based, threatening “more crushing responses” if Washington carried out further strikes.
Iranian State Media revealed this on Wednesday, January 8, 2020.
It said the missiles were in response to a U.S strike last week that killed Iranian General Qasem Soleimani and Iraqi top Commander Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis.
Security Sources told AFP that nine rockets hit the sprawling Ain al-Asad airbase in the country’s west, the largest of the Iraqi military compounds where foreign troops are based.
The sources added that the attack came in three waves just after midnight.
Iran swiftly claimed responsibility for the attack, with State TV saying it had launched “tens of missiles” on the base and promised “more crushing responses” if the U.S carried out further strikes.
The Pentagon said Iran had fired more than a dozen missiles against Ain al-Asad and another installation hosting U.S and coalition Forces near Arbil.
The White House said U.S President Donald Trump was “monitoring the situation closely and consulting with his national security team.”
The attack came after pro-Tehran factions in Iraq had vowed to join forces to “respond” to the killing of Soleimani and Muhandis last week.
Many factions within the Hashed, which has been incorporated into the Iraqi state, have ties to Tehran and on Tuesday, a hardline Hashed faction issued its fiercest threat yet to retaliate.
U.S installations across Iraq had faced some 15 rocket attacks in recent months but none had been claimed, as a result, the US-led coalition and NATO announced they were temporarily suspending their operations in Iraq.