gtag('config', 'G-4J8L8BEK7P');
Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Uncategorized

FOUR CHILDREN INCLUDING TWO SIBLINGS ELECTROCUTED IN ONDO

Four children, two of which are siblings, were electrocuted after a newly installed 11kv power line fell on the container where they were playing around the Oke Aigo area in the Ile-Oluji/Okeigbo council area of Ondo State

It was gathered that the container was used as a shop by the parents of one of the victims, and the two siblings were said to have gone on a visit to the container owner who happens to be their aunt.

Reports from eyewitnesses stated that the children were playing inside the container when the power line cable fell on it.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

Speaking on how he escaped, one of the survivors said, “We were playing and suddenly, power was restored. Immediately, we heard the sparking sound and we ran out of the shop, not knowing that the new cable wire had cut and fallen on my mummy’s container shop.

“As we ran out of the container, the wire trapped our legs and we could not walk again. So, I sat on the plank that was close to me, but the remaining children started shaking and vomiting blood.

“I shouted for help and people came to rescue us and we were rushed to the General Hospital, Ile-Oluji.”

However, at the time of the incident, the shop owner, Ronke Adebiyi, said she was not available.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

She said she received a call in the evening that her shop was burning; she ran down to check on her children and on getting there, she saw people gathered.

“They were rushed to the hospital, but there was no sufficient oxygen they could use for five of them. So, four later gave up the ghost. But the case of the sixth child was not critical as she can walk and talk.

“The remaining two were taken to Trauma Centre in Ondo. One has been discharged, but the second child has been referred to OAU Teaching Hospital. Two of the four children are my sister’s daughter. They came for holiday”, she narrated.

The Senator representing Ondo South, Nicholas Tofowomo, reacting to the incident said he would ensure that justice is given to the parents of the victims if the Benin Electricity Distribution Company (BEDC) were found blameworthy in the tragedy.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

 

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

In other news

Advertisement