Border Closure: Task Force Seizes More Contraband In 3 Weeks

 Border Closure: Task Force Seizes More Contraband In 3 Weeks

The Acting Coordinator of the Joint Border Operation Drill (JBOD) Sector 3, Compt. Garba Mohammed has disclosed that smuggled goods worth N32.7 million have so far been seized in March.

Compt. Mohammed who disclosed this at a news conference in Ilorin on Thursday credited the success recorded to officers and men of the sector.

He said: “Covering the North Central States of Nigeria, which are Niger, Kwara, Kogi and Benue States. In keeping to this promise, the Sector initiated new anti-smuggling strategies which have led to remarkable feats. Within the last three weeks of March 2020, the Sector has intercepted several goods worth millions of Naira, some of which include: 25 units of vehicles of various types, 1,437 bags of foreign Parboiled rice of (50kg each). Out of the seized rice, 430 bags were found concealed in bags of Onions, Maize, Millet and Beans with duty Paid Value of N24,429,000. Also, 494 Tin Tomatoes, 18 bales of Second Hand Clothing, and 15 Sacks of Secondhand Shoes,”.

The Acting Coordinator who stated that the seizures were made around Jebba-Mokwa, Okuta, Alapa and Kontagora axis of the Sector, further warned that the fight against smuggling activities in the North Central axis will continue to receive a sustained momentum.

 “This will lead to more seizures and enforcement of Federal Government directives towards curtailing smuggling activities. I, therefore, stress the need for all illicit traders to desist from all illegal trades and engage in legitimate businesses,’’ he said.

CHRISTIANA DAN

Related post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *