As the countdown to the World Athletics Awards 2022 continues, Nigerian Diamond league and Commonwealth champion, Tobi Amusan has made the names of the five finalists for Women’s World Athlete of the Year.
The Nigerian is rated world best hurlder having broken multiple records at different athlethic meets.
Amusan and other four other athletes, who represent five countries from three area associations, have achieved sensational performances across a range of athletics disciplines in 2022, at the World Athletics Championships Oregon22, World Athletics Indoor Championships Belgrade 22, one-day meeting circuits and other events around the world.
The finalists are (in alphabetical order):
Tobi Amusan, NGR
– World 100m hurdles champion
– Diamond League, Commonwealth and African 100m hurdles champion
– Set a world 100m hurdles record of 12.12
Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce, JAM
– World 100m champion, claiming a fifth gold medal in the event
– Diamond League 100m champion
– Ran a world-leading 10.62 among her record seven sub-10.70 100m races of the season
Kimberly Garcia, PER
– World 20km race walk champion, winning Peru’s first ever World Athletics Championships medal
– World 35km race walk champion in a South American record to complete a race walk double
– World Athletics Race Walking Team Championships 20km bronze medallist
Sydney McLaughlin, USA
– World 400m hurdles and 4x400m champion
– Broke the world 400m hurdles record with 51.41 at the US Championships
– Further improved the world record to 50.68 to win the world title
Yulimar Rojas, VEN
– World indoor and outdoor triple jump champion
– Diamond League triple jump champion
– Improved her world record to 15.74m in Belgrade
The World Athletes of the Year will be crowned on December 5 at the World Athletics Awards 2022.